Sunday, February 24, 2008

Meetup Groups

Morgan is going to a Puggle Party today. I joined a puggle-owners group on Meetup.com in an effort to meet new people.

The puggle group was the only one in which I was really interested. A lot of the other groups focused around politics, which I find interesting, but can't really see myself joining a group where that's the main topic. I'd rather join a group where our main interest is unicorns and politics can be discussed on the side, particularly regarding its effect on unicorn rights, etc.

The group I thought the most amusing was "Fascism in America." I can't help but think this group would quickly turn into a whine-fest led by people who feel that their personal liberties can't be infringed upon in anyway.

"I got ticketed for parking in a no-parking zone by my fascist local government!"

"The newspaper wouldn't publish my 1500-word essay comparing Bush to Dracula - they are such fascists."

"My mom says I have to be home by 9:00 - what a fascist!"

Yeah, that would get old after a while.

No comments: