Friday, May 23, 2008

The Starling Saga Continues ...

Just when we thought our bird drama was over, Taylor and I heard a familiar chirping yesterday morning.

"Oh crap," Taylor said, "There's another stupid bird in there!"

"Oh yeah," I said, "I remember reading about starling colonies in attics ..."

"What?"

"Well, usually starlings hang out in groups, and they all live together in the attic."

Taylor huffed, turned over and covered his head with the blanket. Through the covers I heard him mumble, "We'll just have to wait the stupid bird out ..."

There was no signs of the bird until this morning. I was in the bathroom when I heard Taylor yelp, "The bird! The bird came out!"

This time the whole house was in an uproar as Taylor and I, the cats and the dog ran around the second floor chasing the frantic bird.

I'm not sure why I was chasing it, since I had no intention of actually touching that nasty, dirty, disease-infested bird (Taylor thinks I'm a little ridiculous about my prejudice against starlings for these particular traits, as in his opinion all birds are vermin).

Finally, my cat Healey gave a tremendous leap and tackled the poor bird, and then chased it out the window Taylor managed to open just in time.

Taylor, the cat, and I looked at it each other pride. Victory!

"Wow, you're not a useless as we thought," Taylor said to Healey fondly.

Above our heads, we heard a familiar scratching sound.

"Oh no." Taylor groaned and crawled back under the covers of the bed.

"Um," I said. "Did I mention that starlings live in colonies?"

From the bed I heard a muffled, "Yeah. I think you did."

1 comment:

Taylor W said...

Wow, that makes for a great story. Really, I like hearing good stories, so I don't mind that you've been loosing sleep. Keep it up!