Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fat Cat

I have a lovable kitty named Austin, who BMI is probably around 100. This isn't a problem for me, since I see who he is on the inside and love him for who is he. Plus, I think fat cats are freaking adorable.

Unfortunately, my vet doesn't share my views, and every year I have to receive a lecture on how my cat is morbidly obese and I'm not doing enough to help him lose weight.

In my defense, I have put in the minimum effort. I changed his food to a formula with a lower fat content, but that's about it. I have another, skinny kitty, a dog, a baby, a job, and a house to maintain, so my cat's weight issues aren't exactly on the top of my priority list.

Besides, I really think Austin should take some responsibility for his weight-loss. If all he wants to do is lay in the patch of dirt that is currently my backyard, what can I do about it? The last I heard, people tend to look down on strapping cats to treadmills, so if he doesn't want to exercise, I can't make him.

I just got a postcard from my vet reminding me that it's time to take the kitties in to a checkup. I'm already starting to stress out because I don't want to be guilted about Austin again, and I'm sure he's fatter than last time, so I can't even use the excuse that I'm working on it.

Maybe I should just say, "Look, I'm trying to lose my excess fat, let me get that taken care of and I'll get back to you on the cat. How about that?"