Sunday, August 27, 2006

George Bush: Where's the Love?

Okay, so something I've noticed since moving up North is the severe hatin' on George Bush. Now, I can understand my diseffected college friends complaining about how "I hate George Bush, he's such a fascist." I just chalk that up to them being diseffected college students who don't really understand the meaning of fascism. You see kids, that means that Fidel Castro of Cuba is a fascist ("You mean that nice Communist Dictator who makes all that sugar?"), not the President of the United States who will be leaving in a year and a half. But even the intelligent, well-meaing, and generally pleasant adults around mutate into unpleasant crazy people as the mere mention of Bush. Or even a bush. For example:

"My, what a lovely bush you have in your front yard. What kind is it?"

"A fascist one that's ruined the economy and literally started World War III!"

Yes, I actually had someone tell me that Bush started World War III. Now, I mentioned that to my friends Chris and Taylor, and they surmised that while Bush could have started a new World War, it was hardly World War III.

"I think the Cold War could be considered World War III." Chris said helpfully.
"Actually," Taylor even more helpfully said, "There have been dozens of "world wars" since civilization began, so you'd have to say that Bush started a modern day World Way III. Or IV."

"Well, thanks guys!" I said. "I think you missed my point, but yours are still equally valid!"

The reason why I'm writing this is because I think it's weird. I was but a youngin' when the Republicans were hatin' on Bill Clinton (who I heard is actually a pretty charming guy as long as you're willing to overlook personal flaws), so this is the first I've experienced of Presidential Hatred.

But honestly, I don't recall Clinton ever being accused of causing all the ills Bush is accused of. Global Warming, the Middle East's Hatred of The West, JonBennet's murder(I'm totally not kidding about this). Just the other day I was watching Kevin Spacey talk about his role as Lex Luther in the new Superman Movie. The interviewer was saying how "Lex was so evil, so diobolical, so -"

"Like George Bush?" Spacey smirked.

"Well, you said it, not me!" The interviewer giggled.

Excuse me, Kevin, while I gag. It's one thing for diseffected college students to go off like that, but you? I mean, you only starred in a movie about a middle-age man lusting after a sixteen-year-old cheerleader. I expected so much more from you.

And the inconsistancy. First Bush is a ignorant cowboy, unfit for the presidency and being led by the hand by Dick Cheney or Karl Rove. Then he's a meglomanic bent on world domination? Can we settle on one or the other guys?

Look, there are plenty of things I'm unhappy with Bush about. Government spending, immigration, etc. but I'd rather have him in office dealing with the War on Terrorism (yes, there is one) than Al "Junk Science" Gore or John "Um, I changed my mind and did I mention I'm a war vet?" Kerry.

As for those of you who hate him, Relax! He'll be gone in a year and a half, and then we can all have fun hatin' on Hillary. Except for you, Doctor Shock.

2 comments:

Taylor W said...

I missed the point?!?!?

Oh, wait, I seem to do that quite a bit . . . sorry. But I am totally on board with your thinking about Mr. President current--"The W."

I think you'll find this (http://ask.yahoo.com/20060823.html) interesting since you brought up our next Mrs. President.

Meg said...

Yeah, well I thought this was rather funny as well. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-33,GGLJ:en&q=failure

Even if I like Bush, I can still laugh.