Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Asian Television

In case my friends back home were worried that I would become too cool for them now that I live in the Big City (or in a smaller city outside the Big City), rest assured.

("Whew!" says Friend From Back Home, "I was so worried!")

I am still the same lovable dork Me that I've always been. Except now I'm a lovable dork Me who is addicted to AZN, the cable channel dedicated to Asian Americans! It all started when I was flipping through the channels, bored, with nothing to entertain me, when I saw a show with Korean people wearing period outfits.

"Wow," I thought, "Those are Korean people wearing period outfits. This show must be good!"

Even better was that fact that there were convenient subtitles on the screen, so I didn't have to make up my own dialogue like I had to back when I watched Spanish soap operas (don't judge me!). Before I knew it, I was sucked into a plot filled with intrigue and deception, and I was hooked. Then my husband came home.

"What are you watching?" He said with a raised eyebrow.

"Um ... I don't know the title of the show, because I can't read Korean," I said. "But ...!" I then began telling him the whole plot of the series.

Taylor, like most people, watches T.V. in a vegetative state, so he found it hard to understand why I would enjoy watching a show with subtitles. It was too much like ... reading ... He can understand why I like to read, but actively watching a show with subtitles seemed to be crossing too many barriers. Reading is a smart, healthy thing to do. T.V. is a lazy, stupid thing to do, and ne're the two shall meet.

Like most wives, I agreed with him and then secretly resolved to do exactly I wanted, and so I've kept watching. Only now I fear that the period drama is a gateway drug, because now I'm watching more and more AZN shows. First there was Asia Street Comedy (The title itself is enough to make me laugh.), now I've started watching Anime.

But it's no big deal. I can quit anytime I want. But not right now, my show's back on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! I just watched an Asian horror movie with subtitles... "ohhhh ahhhh" I can hear you say in appreciative amazement. Well it scared the bejeezus out of me - those crazy Asians, they sure know how to make great TV! Just kidding, no hate mail please. I love Asian people – I have an Asian friend … lol.