Monday, September 04, 2006

The End is Near - Al Gore is on T.V.!

Did you see that propaganda piece on ABC about the "Top Ten Ways TheWorld Will End (And it's Your Fault!)" that was on a couple nights ago?In case you missed it, do you know what we're most likely to die from? Not nuclear winter, not biological disease, but GLOBAL WARMING! The horror! And it was horrible. They literally took footage from Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth." Then, wonder of wonders, the man himself was there, talking about how there is no debate, global warming is real, and those who disagree are fringe extremists brainwashed by corporate giants. The whole time the interviewer stood there, eyes wide, lips parted, taking in every word he said. "Oh really Al? Can it be true? Oh, take me know before the world ends (just don't tell Tipper)!" And in case you want to know about what the other side does think, don't bother. The two scientists (sorry Al, that's doesn't include you) basically said anyone who disagrees with the idea of man-caused global warming are the equivalent of Holocaust Deniers. During this sound bite they flashed images of basically every Fox New Personality available. I half expected to see a graphic pull up that said "Sean Hannity = Mahmoud Ahmadinejad." Except the media tends to like that crazy lil' Iranian leader and his Hezbollah band of social aid workers. While I'm not really surprised to find the other side trying to push me into the camp of skin heads and Nazis (after all, I DO oppose increasing the minimum wage), I do find it kind of odd that it resulted over global warming. Somehow the moral equivalency is lost on me.

Believe me, I'm not the only one struck by the comparison. Just poke around on Google and you'll find others who think Gore's being just a little extreme.

The Volokh Conspiracy

Anthony L. Hall

My personal favorite.

And still others who are willing to make the most of it.

Deniers have been smeared before.

No comments: