Friday, February 16, 2007

Kitty Found!

First, I want to thank everyone who left encouraging comments. Sometimes I feel silly being attached to a cat, which is such a by-product of me being a spoiled and affluent (by most of the world's standards) person with enough wealth to feed a completely useless animal just because it makes me happy. But still, I don't have babies, so I have kitties instead.

But just like you can empathize, I fully believe God also empathizes with our little pains. There are a lot of important things God's working on, like the salvation of all our souls, but he still takes time to comfort a child over a simple loss. And even better, sometimes he evens answers those simple prayers.

Last night Taylor and I were sitting on the couch and talking after we posted "missing" ads on craigslist and leaving messages with the local shelters. We wondered about how God asks us to be joyful in all circumstances, and what that means for us. If Austin really disappeared, were we to rejoice over that? Or perhaps, knowing that God also says that he works all things for the good of those who love him, rejoice knowing that even if we never discover how or why, God will take tragedies and make something wonderful from them for his purposes.

As we sat musing, we heard a knock on our door. We looked at each in anticipation. We weren't expecting company, so there was no reason for someone to be there, unless ... I opened the door and there was our neighbor, who said "You guys left the interior light on in you car."

Not quite what we were hoping for. I thanked the guy, and left to go turn off the light. And as I was walking back, there I saw a little black furry thing scurry from out under the backstairs of my apartment. I ran up to it, and sure enough, it was Austin! If that guy hadn't warned us about the light, I wouldn't have seen him. But here's the oddest thing yet! The passenger side door of the car hadn't been shut properly, which is why the light was on. But the door had been frozen shut from the ice, and neither Taylor nor I remember opening it that day.

Coincidence, a secularist would say yeah. But for me, I think it was God showing kindness to someone he loves.

Welcome home Austin.

No comments: