Thursday, February 15, 2007

Snowy Valentine's

So the night before Valentine's Day, Taylor and I, along with our friends the Williams, went to P.F. Chang's for the occasion. We did this on the 13th because that 14th was completely booked, and it turned out to be quite fortuitous that we celebrated a day early.

The weather has been quite cool for a couple weeks now, but the long awaited snow finally arrived yesterday on the 14th. Well, you could call it snow, or you could call it gross, wet slushy stuff, which I think is more accurate of a description. After the gross, slushy stuff came ice pellets that somehow defied physics and managed to fly vertically into my eyes. It was in this treacherous conditions that my car decided it was ready to have its first flat.

I understand that there's a first time for everything, but not when you're parked in a six-inch deep puddle.

But I was okay, because my friend Austin was there to my rescue. While he's normally a bit of a ne're do well, he sprung into action and got me some Fix-a-Flat, filled my tire, and then followed me home to make sure I got there safely. I promised myself I would never let his dad say anything bad about him again.

Even though having a flat tire is really annoying, when I think about all the other things that could have happened, I know that I am blessed. After all, the roads were coated in ice yesterday (and today, come to think of it) and if my car got a flat on my way home, I could have spun out in the middle of a busy street to my fiery doom. Or in less dramatic scenario, I could have gotten a flat and ended up stuck in the sleet on the side of busy road, waiting 45 minutes for a Triple A tow truck that will inevitably arrive an hour late. If we haven't eaten our romantic dinner the night before, we would have missed out on a Valentine's date.

And now today is a beautiful day with bright sun and crisp air. So all in all, I have to say I have it pretty good.

No comments: