Wednesday, March 11, 2009

New Job

So I have been officially working at my new job for a fully month now. I don't like giving specifics of where I work via the Internet lest it come back to haunt me, especially since work usually provides tons of fodder for sarcastic commentary. Suffice it to say that I am currenty working as the receptionist/office assisant for a emergency restoration company.

I have mixed feelings about my employment. I'm not making as much as I used to, and my hours are pretty long. On the plus side, my commute is much shorter, since I'm no longer taking the train into Cambridge.

The biggest struggle I'm facing is that my job is pretty dull, especially in comparison with the fast-paced environment of my previous job. I do a lot of paperwork and filing and sitting for 8.5 hours a day.

It's frustrating, because I know this job was an answer to prayer. I need to work, and with unemployment the highest it's been in decades, I know I should be grateful.

A friend of mine recently quoted Brother Lawrence, a 17th century monk who worked in the kitchen of his monastery, "Nor is it needful that we should have great things to do. . . We can do little things for God; I turn the cake that is frying on the pan for love of him, and that done, if there is nothing else to call me, I prostrate myself in worship before him, who has given me grace to work; afterwards I rise happier than a king. It is enough for me to pick up but a straw from the ground for the love of God."

This message really got me thinking that my job is another avenue through which I can be serving God. Even during the most mundane tasks I'm given, I have an oppurtunity to show my love for God. Put in that light, it becomes a lot easier to bear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was clicking through blogs when I found your entry. I used to also work in the same water/fire/mold mitigation business, but in another state. My position was office manager. Yikes! I couldn't say that it was boring. I don't know what was more complicated, the business aspect, or the whole divorce thing that the owner was going through. Anyway, the pay was good, but the benefits were zip, so, I had to move on to somewhere else that had what I needed.

The water/fire/mold mitigation business that I worked at had a tremendous employee turnover, both in the crew and in the office staff. Not sure if this is an issue at all of them, but I do wish you luck!