Monday, March 30, 2009

Work is slow ...

So slow, in fact, that I'm getting flashbacks from my previous job, except that I was actually busy there. The parallels to my last job are more in the vein of "Wow, if we don't get anymore work we're going to be [large amount of money] short this month." The last time I heard that it was followed by, "And therefore, we can't afford to keep you anymore, Meghan."

Hopefully, it won't come to that, but work needs to put up soon. I have absolutely nothing to do. I even went to my boss and told him I needed a project. He looked around the office for a few minutes and said, "Well, there really isn't anything that I can think of." Coming from the man who just had me rearrange all our file drawers and supply closet, that's pretty bad.

There's nothing worse then trying to create work for yourself, because eventually you wind up doing stuff that didn't get done in the first place because it's a stupid waste of time. Right now I'm filling the time by entering business contact info from 10-year-old Rolodexes I found in the storage closet into our electronic address system. Half the companies listed don't even exist anymore. It is fun to see which companies did stand the test of time. If this new job ends up not working out, I'll have a list of companies with proven longevity I can apply to. I bet I'm totally qualified to work for Biff's Autobody in Brighton.

No comments: